2012-07-30

* Singles: Celery Leaf Salad + Tuna Melt

This year is my first growing celery, and I am a fan.  Easy, relatively quick growing, and you can eat the whole stalk.  Jim Lausier, the local Peaks Island gardener and owner of Lausier Family Gardens, informed my landlord that the celery leaves can be clipped off and included with your salad and regular lettuce.  I'm certain this would be tasty, but I just decided to go for an entire celery leaf salad.  The leaves are a tad thicker and tougher than lettuce, but I welcomed the hearty roughage and strong flavor.  I couldn't pin point the flavor, but I think it is a bitter tasting leaf, so I countered that with sweet stuff -- cherry tomatoes, extra ripe peach, and rice vinegar.  The rest of the celery was finely chopped into my tuna, added a little mayo, melted swiss cheese on the only bread I had, and voila... my lunch.  The creamy tuna melt also helped counter the celery leaf flavor.  I really have no green thumb at all, so if I can grow celery, so can you!


No comments:

Post a Comment