2013-06-20

* 40th Annual Old Port Festival

The 40th annual Old Port Festival was held on Sunday, June 9th, 2013.  It was a gorgeous day.  In recent years or at least the last time I had attended I remember walking around in my rain coat, eating festival food, trying to stay in the mood, despite the rain.  This year the perfect weather drew me out.  After shooting a wedding Saturday and having to crash in town since there were no boats home to Peaks when I rolled into Portland late-night, I took an early boat back Sunday morning (enjoyed some freshly baked banana bread!), and worked on my wedding images until midday.  I decided to take the afternoon off and hopped on a boat to the madness on the mainland.  I don't know anyone who enjoys shoulder-to-shoulder crowds, but I just mentally prepared, telling myself it is all in the spirit of the festival.  I found my zen place, soaked in all the sun, reveled in the people watching, and enjoyed a massive bag of kettle popcorn (the corn was still warm!) and sugary lemonade sipped through a straw.  We walked the rows of arts and craft vendors, I treated myself to a $5 pair of earrings and a beer at Flatbread while waiting for the ferry back home to island calm.  So 2013 brought Old Port Fest success!

 After meeting a friend in the West End, while on our way down to the Old Port Fest, High Street at Congress Street was blocked off due to the bricks separating from a building side.  Crazy sight.  Thankfully no one was hurt.

 



My friends Russel (aka Sprouts) and Brandon (aka Flakes) flagging down friends on a nearby roof who were watching the festival from above.  Sprouts didn't want his picture taken.


The view from the friend's apartment who graciously let us up for quick peek at the festivities from above.  Great to see so many people out enjoying Portland!


Saw these two characters on my way out of the festival.  Mario and Luigi of the Super Mario Brothers video game.  Hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment