2012-09-07

* Laboring on Labor Day, Quotes of Note

I've been laboring on this beautiful Labor Day, but took a break to clean some papers from my desk and came across three quotes I had jotted down that I thought to share with you fine folks. I do like a good quote. I like words. I like pondering things. A good quote resonates with me and prompts me to recognize both words and ponderings. I hope these do the same for you!

---
"We must absolutely do what we love, or we run the risk of doing nothing at all." - Unknown

My mother gave me a print of a collage with illustration and these words. It is hung on my wall where I see it every day as a inspiring reminder on how I try to live my life.

---
"We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." - Sam Keen, American author, professor, and philosopher

My two friends Beth and John married each other this past June, and I was so happy I was able to witness this commitment as a guest at their wedding. These two are absolutely made for each other, in all their agreements and disagreements. They included little quotes in the place settings at the tables and this was the one I discovered at mine. I read it twice to make sure I truly had a grasp, the navy blue typed words staring back at me on the small piece of paper. I then made a "Hmmm" sound out loud, concurring with this perspective. Not a new perspective, but said more eloquently than the grouping of words arranged in my head saying the same thing until this moment. I tucked the little piece of paper into my purse.

---
"So far as we can discern the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of sheer being." - Carl Jung, Swiss psychologist and psychiatrist who founded analytical psychology

Ever since I photographed Melissa and Steve's wedding at the Inn on Peaks and heard Melissa's brother use this quote in his toast, I cannot get it out of my head. His thesis that Melissa and Steve are each other's "light of meaning in the darkness of sheer being" is such a poignant observation. If only you all could have witnessed his delivery. Two posts on his quote -- clearly it left an indelible mark on me.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment