2012-04-10

* Winter Surfing in Scarborough, Maine

I have been learning to surf since right after Hurricane Irene hit the east coast at the end of last August. It is a total blast, but I, of course, have a long way to go. I have managed to downsize from a tanker of a surfboard at 10'10" to a barge of a surfboard at 9'4" -- they really are the size of small boats. And, hey, did you know there is a pile of rocks in the middle of Higgins Beach? The ones you can see from Route 77? We had our moment during a storm in December -- starfish style, as I like to say -- but we're friends again. Despite all that, I still wish there were some waves for me to get tossed around on. In the meantime, good thing I'm learning to boulder, another addictive activity to attempt. I started right after my surfing incident, so maybe it was my subconscious way of making peace with the rocks at Higgins by deciding to learn how to climb them instead of bouncing off them. These old photos of friends who can actually surf, unlike myself, made me contemplate all this. It was a cold February day at Scarborough Beach State Park in Scarborough, Maine with clouds rolling in and out. This year we failed to have a winter as such, although I hear there may be some surf this weekend.....







No comments:

Post a Comment