2013-04-10

* Peaks Island Land Preserve Trail on Peaks Island, Maine

Since the month of March I have been dealing with some health problems, partly explaining my hiatus.  I came down with a nasty case of tonsillitis and strep that progressed rapidly and with no mercy.  I couldn't talk for a few days and had to have an abscess drained.  FYI, not fun!  After I healed from that, the doctor said I needed to have surgery to remove my tonsils and adenoids.  Again, FYI, not fun.  Unlike the abscess, which was just me in the doc's chair with some topical numbing agent that seemed to not be numbing at all, for the tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy I would go under anesthesia.  The surgery is quick and these days they don't even use sutures, instead cauterizing the areas.  Maybe I was slightly naive about the recovery period, but I guess I didn't think it would be such a process.  I'm finally eating soft solid foods and I'm weening myself off the prescription pain medication, but still dealing with a sore throat, ear pain, and low energy.  I can talk now, but just not for long periods of time.  My family and my boyfriend Ed have been great, supporting me through the surgery and the recovery.  Now don't get me wrong, this really wasn't major surgery (and it makes me not want ANY surgery every again), but, sheesh, recovering from surgery in your mouth is rough.  In a few more weeks I should be back to normal though... and loving the simple task of chugging water like it's my job.

A couple days ago, I finally felt like leaving the house for some fresh air and an island walk.  My energy left me pretty fast and I didn't make it that far, but I was able to check out a Peaks Island Land Preserve trail with Ed.  Finally.  Sad that I had never walked it before in my years of living here on Peaks.  I even felt good enough to grab my camera and play with my new 85mm lens.  No masterpieces, but a few fun ones I thought worthy of posting.

Hope everyone is healthy themselves and enjoying the warming spring temps.  I can't wait to be back to normal, and climbing and yoga-ing!













No comments:

Post a Comment